Sunday, February 28, 2010

M is for Mask (and a little V is for Valentine)

Unfortunately, my children and I got very sick the first week of February and I couldn't have preschool on the 9th. I tried rescheduling for the 11th, but we were so sick that my husband had to take off work to care for us! I had to cancel school again for the 16th, but we were finally better and held a makeup class on the afternoon of the 18th. So this day we studied the letter M, but we also did a Valentine craft at the end of class and exchanged Valentines because all the kids had been soooo looking forward to it!

We started off by mushing some Crayola Model Magic clay.

The kids colored it with whatever color marker they wanted,

and then mixed it in. We tried not to overmix it so that it would have a marbled effect!

We mushed it flat and poked eye holes to make Mardi Gras masks.

I wanted to work on some math concepts with the kids, so we did this worksheet where we measured how many mice the moose, moon and monkey were. You can print the pdf here. You just need to cut out the mouse measuring stick and number squares.


I then had the kids color and cut out some muffins. There were paper plates with numbers on them and I had the kids count out that number of muffins and put them on the plate.
Our snack was in that ziploc bag on the table and it was a big hit . . .

Monkey Munch! (You can find the recipe here)

The kids worked on weaving a Valentine mailbox and then passed out their Valentines.

Most of them didn't look this perfect, but Kynan had a little help from his mom ;)

Here are the kids modeling their masks!

1 comment: